The new software update version 3.0 gets your Vita ready for a little PS4 to Vita connectivity and it's available right now.
The PlayStation Blog posted the video above that provides a quick overview to the new features for the Vita and how to access them. In addition to the PS4 Link application, 3.0 also adds multiple other useful functions.
- Parental Controls allows parents to set game duration allowed as well as video and internet access.
- A panoramic camera option was added. I thought the camera was pretty terrible but here you go.
- The friend app added 4 tabs for quick access to Friends, Friend Requests, Blocked Users, and Find a Friend.
- Group Messaging has been changed to just Messages with an improved layout allowing users to message others on PS4 or the PlayStation iOS/Android app.
- The Party app now allows users to converse with PS4 users as well as other Vita users.
- You can now sync your contacts from Gmail and Yahoo using the Email app. Does anybody actually use that? Well if you do, Contact List > Options > CardDAV Settings > Add CardDAV Account
- You can (finally) sync content from the PS3 to the Vita using a wifi connection.
- The Remote Play app has been changed to PS3 Remote Play.
- Automatically download future software updates and look at PS4 trophies
All-in-all, this sounds like a great update and should get you even more excited for the PS4's launch on November 15th.