Update (10/18/13 11:48am):
The newest title update for GTA Online addresses multiple issues. In particular, the patch fixes lost cars and mods which has plagued the experience since launch. Here's a list of their fixes from the Rockstar Newswire:
- Fixes numerous issues that were causing vehicle loss and/or loss of vehicle mods
- Fixes an issue where the incorrect car is replaced when choosing to replace a car in a full garage
- Fixes an exploit allowing players to sell the same vehicle multiple times
- Fixes an issue that caused personal vehicles to be duplicated
- Fixes an issue where some players were unable to pay utility bills on an owned apartment or house
- Fixes an issue where players were not getting Crew invites in-game
- Fixes an issue where the starting point for the tutorial race was not appearing
- Fixes issues with joining Jobs from within a player-owned garage
- Fixes issues with players getting stuck while using playlists
- Fixes additional issues causing black screens, long load times, and players getting stuck in the sky cam
- Adds details in the UI to clarify that characters created while Rockstar cloud is unavailable are temporary (non-saved)
- Adds changes to the character creator to make better-looking default characters with the “random” option
- Players now only lose a maximum of 500 GTA$ upon death in Freemode
Rockstar also stated that they intend to deposit the first $250,000 of their $500,000 stimulus package money into players accounts beginning early the week of October 21st.
Update (10/9/13 4:47 PM):
Rockstar has listed a number of fixes releasing for the PS3 today and the Xbox 360 tomorrow "at the latest" in regards to the lost character issue as well as other game hindering shenanigans. According to Rockstar, the update addresses the following problems:
- Fixes multiple issues causing character deletion or other loss of progress
- Fixes issues causing infinite loading, infinite sky cams, and missing interface options between jobs
- Fixes an issue causing the "replay" option to be locked out on certain jobs
- Fixes an issue where a player would become stuck in the mod garage when respraying a Sanchez motor bike
- Fixes an issue where the Player became stuck inside Los Santos Customs during Online tutorial flow.
- Fixes an issue causing the loss of guns and ammo
- Fixes issues causing GTA races ending early because of players spawning too far ahead
- Fixes issues in Last Team Standing where sessions would not progress past the lobby
- Fixes issues with network errors when joining Last Team Standing using Quick Job
- Added clarifications around when a player is using a temporary character in GTA Online during Rockstar Cloud server outages
- Adjusts the monetary penalty for being killed in a One on One match
They also wanted to remind players to always save their game before exiting GTA Online. In addition, they advise players that before the update is live for their specific system, that "if at any point you receive the message 'Rockstar Cloud Servers are unavailable', please do not either select the 'Retry' option or create a temporary Character to play GTA Online." They go on to say, "Instead, you should exit to GTAV Story Mode and try entering GTA Online again through the menu in Story Mode.
GTA Online is like an old Chevy. You love it but there's lots of tricks to get it to work properly and subconsciously it's you know incredibly broken,
Update (10/9/13 12:23 PM):
Rockstar issued a statement on Tuesday (10/8) stating the following regarding character loss. They've also updated the loading screen for GTA Online to reflect this:
If you have previously created a character but see an empty character selection screen when entering GTA Online, please back out to GTAV Story Mode and try re-entering GTA Online through the pause menu (repeat or wait until Rockstar cloud servers are back up). Do not create a new character in the empty slot where your character should be.
If you receive the message 'The Rockstar Cloud Servers Are Unavailable', please return to GTAV Story Mode and follow the steps above. Please do not press “Retry” on the message and do not proceed online with saving disabled, as this may lead to overwriting your existing character.
We apologize for this inconvenience and are working on a permanent fix for these issues
Here's hoping they are able to fix this sooner than later as tensions are slowly mounting in the community. Fortunately we've (PSN ID: Bruise) been able to play for a few hours and when everything is running smoothly, GTA Online is fantastic. Stay tuned for our impressions/review in the coming days.
Rockstar has also announced an update to the game addressing some issues. Here they are from the horse's mouth:
- Fix to address the issue where players were stuck launching a session before the Mall or Nothing race in the online tutorial.
- Fix to address an issue where bank & cash were deleted incorrectly in some cases.
- Fix to address incorrect amounts of cash being dropped when the player dies in Missions and Last Team Standing.
- Fixes an issue where the Character Switch Wheel would disappear after a failed load.
- Fixes an issue where attempting to enter GTA Online via the Character Switch Wheel caused a black screen.
- Fixes an issue where temporary characters were overwriting main characters.
- Fixes an issue where players were losing apartments and the money they spent on them.
- Fixes an issue that caused Story Mode missions to be missed in some instances.
- Removes the autosave that occurred when transitioning into GTA Online from within GTAV Story Mode to prevent the chance of Story Mode saves becoming corrupted.
- Several tweaks to GTA Online including improving overall stability.
We'll keep this page updated with all software updates as the continued #GTAOnline issues continue (or hopefully fix).
Update (10/7/13 11:47am):
Just as we thought things were getting better, GTA Online has hit yet another snag and it's a frustrating one.
Players have begun reporting "loss of characters, rank, items, apartments, and/or in-game money" as reported by Rockstar's support page. "We have received reports from some players who experienced losing characters, progress, items, and/or in-game cash during the first few days after release," states Rockstar, "We are working diligently to identify and correct the causes for these losses, as well as to establish how best to restore any lost progress and value."
The frustration continues to mount as even review sites like IGN are being effected. Keza Maconald of IGN shows her irritation in her Review In Progress:
If you're wondering how the GTA Online review is going, there's been a slight snag: I logged in on Sunday to discover that my level 20ish character I'd been playing with all week is gone, vanished, along with all my money, my property and my cars.
I'm pretty furious. This is what public betas are for. Currently I'm not sure GTA Online even qualifies as a beta - it feels more like alpha code. This is a potentially incredible game with an extraordinary level of ambition, but for it to launch in this state undermines all of that. Needless to say, the review in progress will be suspended until I get my character back, if I ever do.
With tension mounting and many getting beyond upset, Rockstar probably has some PR sugar-coating to do. BruisedThumbs has gotten online but not for very long before being booted or stuck on loading screens although others seem to be having little to no issues.
Update (10/4/13 12:57pm):
Rockstar has released an update for PS3 users. An Xbox 360 update is soon to follow.
Many are still reporting difficulties accessing online, making it past the introductory video, and, apparently, spawning without limbs. Thanks to Kotaku for the interesting GIF.
Update (10/2/13 1:47pm):
The latest from Rockstar lets users know more on the status as well as resolve some issues they've encountered on PS3. Rockstar had this to say on their Support page:
- For PlayStation 3 users, a PlayStation Network server issue was detected that was limiting the amount of possible concurrent users. This was preventing most players from accessing GTA Online altogether and as of this morning, that problem was resolved.
- There is an issue that is preventing some players from getting through the first tutorial mission across both platforms. Many players have been able to get through this with repeated retries, and we are working on unblocking this for everyone as soon as possible.
- This morning, we experienced some instability across the GTA Online services which is affecting even people who have progressed beyond the tutorial mission. We are identifying these issues now and are working to restore stability for users as soon as possible.
- For the time being and until we have been able to get everybody access to GTA Online and things are running smoothly, we have disabled the option of purchasable GTA$ cash packs. Players can however keep on earning GTA$ by pulling off Jobs and other profitable gameplay activities rather than purchasing cash packs.
See below for the original stories.
Update (10/2/13 7:33am):
Rockstar has added an update to their support page as of 1am EST this morning. If any of you were having trouble even launching GTA Online like us, than the updates are nice, albeit, disappointing. Here's what Rockstar had to say:
We are continuing to look into these issues and are working around the clock on resolving them as quickly as possible. This includes close monitoring of our Support systems, forums, social media, and in-game data to measure traffic along with Community sentiment to ensure ongoing improvements to stability. Please stay tuned for more updates.
I can't wait to play so hopefully the problem is resolved soon.
Original Story (10/1/13):
Rockstar Games sold millions of copies of Grand Theft Auto 5 in just 24 hours so having connectivity errors is completely expected. On Rockstar's support site, they have addressed that there are launch hiccups; an expectation they set last week by stating "Plenty of issues are bound to occur."
Some of the issues that users are encountering according to Rockstar's support site include, but are obviously not limited to:
- Occasional "Rockstar Cloud Servers Unavailable" error message
- Freezing sometimes while loading into first race in GTAO with "waiting for other players" on the screen
- Intermittent "Failed to Host a GTA Online Session" error messages
- Race Corona (start area, marker) occasionally not showing up for first race
- Errors saying "Timed out when matchmaking for a compatible GTA Online Session to join"
- Occasional errors about jobs failing to start or load
- General issues with the Social Club site and Social Club features (slow loading, failed logins, emails not arriving, etc).
We'll have more on GTA Online as soon as we can access it properly.